Sunday, July 27, 2008

Weekend Update

Dinner on Friday? Pizza. I had a few slices saved up (yes, in the freezer). Generally, we order a whole pie, eat two slices each and wrap up the remaining half in foil (each of the four slices individually) and then bag it and freeze it for later. We used the rest of the red leaf head and cut up some of the onions included in this week's share. I dressed the salad with the Caesar dressing I'd made earlier in the week.

On Saturday: more chicken emerged from the freezer (yes, there was that much in there!). Since I defrosted enough for two meals, the rest will be used on Monday. Bob made a dill potato salad with carrots (he didn't use the recipe I linked to). Because the lettuce we got from the CSA this week was rotted, we bought a head of red leaf at a farmer's market type store along with some carrots and fruits (blackberries and peaches). Along with the potato salads and chicken we had a garden salad and used up the remaining Caesar dressing.

I hate to say it, but a dozen or so peaches, a 1/2 pint of blackberries, a nice head of redleaf and a very large bunch of locally grown carrots was less than $10. Our CSA share for 22 weeks works out to more than $20 per week. Again, we're seriously evaluating the whole CSA to see if it's worth it in all respects (financially and gastronomically).

Speaking of the CSA share and if it's worth it or not. For this week's menu, there's not a lot to incorporate from our vegetable share. I will be using that cabbage (and our new carrots) for slaw. That leaves three beets, some Swiss chard, and you guessed it: squash. I'll post the menu separately.

My friend C from KCMO (wow, all these people with secret identities!), has promised to supply me with an absolutely delicious salad recipe that will forever change my views on kale. Apparently, the first few bites are unimpressive but by the fifth bite, the salad takes on magical qualities and you're hooked forever. I can't wait to get the recipe and try it. There's got to be some kale in my future.

No comments: