Friday, July 18, 2008

CSA Delivery

For lunch I had the squash torte. It held up well in the microwave. It makes for a good, quick lunch.

For dinner, we had broccoli and cauliflower with lemon-dill butter sauce plus a fairly large salad to use up the leftover sliced squash and the head of Boston/butter lettuce. The lettuce almost didn't make it. I don't think it had even another day in it. Regardless, I made my mustard vinaigrette and used up all the remaining salad fixin's (carrots, celery, cucumber) we had laying around in the fridge.

The broccoli and cauliflower dish was easy to make. Just trim the stems from the broccoli and cauliflower (reserve those for the composter) and then blanch the florets for a few minutes (until just cooked and slightly tender). For the butter sauce follow the recipe below.

Lemon-Dill Butter Sauce
Serves 4 to 6

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon freshly chopped dill
Juice from 1/2 a lemon (or more)
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper

Directions
1. In a small bowl melt the butter in a microwave until just melted (it should look a bit thick and creamy).
2. Add the lemon juice, dill, salt, and pepper.
3. Toss over broccoli and cauliflower

Here's the mustard vinaigrette. I think I forgot to add garlic (sometimes I throw it in). I usually go a bit light on the oil as I'd rather it less "fatty."

Mustard Vinaigrette

2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
4 tablespoons (or more) extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper

Directions
1. Add mustard, vinegar, and olive oil to a jar with tight-fitting lid. Shake vigorously until thorough mixed.
2. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: