Saturday, July 5, 2008

Have a Littledeer with Your Le Creuset

Grrrrr. A few months ago I was thrilled to find that wooden cooking tools from a maker (craftsman, actually) I adore had become readily available in the United States. They didn't offer everything, but a set of five particularly useful items (spreader, tongs, paddle, pot scoop, and serving scoop) was offered for $99.95. Now it looks like Williams-Sonoma is no longer selling any of the Littledeer utensils. I guess W-S would rather sell such useful things as mozzarella slicers, tomato slicers, and mango pitters.

I first discovered Littledeer Mapleware in an art shop (Boutique des métiers d'art du Québec) in Montreal in 2006 during a business trip. The sinuous and smoothly carved maple cooking utensils were too irresistible to pass up.

Exercising a bit of self control, I bought only three of them: a pan paddle, tines, and a sweet scoop. Apparently, wood is a better implement for savoring ice cream because it doesn’t conduct heat. I wouldn’t know. Ice cream never sits on any spoon of mine long enough to test this theory. These tools are a pleasure to use (they come in left-handed or right-handed designs) and my Le Creuset pans are certainly now in safe(r) hands with them. Plus, those tines are especially good for pulling stuck slices out of the toaster without electrocuting yourself.

Visit http://www.littledeer.ca/ to see their full product line. W-S didn't even give the line a fighting chance (I bought my mom a set of five for Mother's Day; just 2 months later and they're gone from the site).

No comments: