Sunday, July 27, 2008

Menu a la Week: 7/26/08 -7/31/08

Here's the menu for the week. There's a few blanks to be filled in, but I'll do that by Monday. There's also no "real" dinner for tonight. We had take-out (Wendy's) because we were busy with chores and I was rushing to get a jewelry project done too. I hope to post the dill potato salad recipe by tomorrow (hint, hint "Bob").

While working on the jewelry project in my basement, I was listening to NPR (WNYC). I heard a story on Marketplace Money about a California family that has suddenly found itself in dire straits (house foreclosing, no income, savings gone, going to the food pantry). The husband and wife were both in the real estate lending industry when the market there went south. What struck me as odd is that making soups and freezing leftovers were such a new way of cooking for the wife (her mom is instructing her on how to cook frugally). I guess, for me, I've always frozen some things, perhaps not as compulsively as now, and soups and stews just seem like a good idea for winter cooking (not just for when you're poor). She also mentioned canned vegetables. Honestly, I'm not a fan of most canned veg, but tomatoes and beans (kidney, etc.) and sometimes even corn often hold up pretty well. I guess I see it as sad that exercising commonsense is seen as something to only do when you've fallen on hard times; otherwise, when money's flush, waste away!

Menu 7/26/08 - 7/31/08
Saturday July 26, 2008
Grilled chicken and dill potato salad and salad with Caesar dressing

Sunday July 27, 2008
Wendy's :-)

Monday July 28, 2008
Chicken panini and potato salad

Tuesday July 29, 2008
Meatloaf and Bob's summer squash

Wednesday July 30, 2008
Cole slaw and hot dogs

Thursday July 31, 2008
Beets and ?

No comments: