Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sandwiches (Fish and Fowl) and Something Altogether Foul

Aside from a bowl of cereal, there's probably nothing easier to make than a sandwich. Tuesday night we made chicken panini (I have the Le Creuset grill pan and the matching panini press) with fontina cheese and dijon mustard on mulitgrain "French" bread (the supermarket didn't have our favorite panella bread from Calandra's in Newark; we'll have to complain to the store manager). I must admit, even with the subpar bread, the panini was awesome.

We used the grilled chicken we'd made days before. That chicken was quite dry (we used the Purdue thin sliced, not the juiciest way to grill), and after a few days in the fridge, it only got drier. But lo' and behold, during the panini cooking process, the chicken was somehow "reconstituted." I'm assuming the moisture from the mustard, cheese, and olive oil, managed to "steam" the chicken as it cooked (over medium-low heat!). Brilliant! We paired this yummy sandwich with "crispy kale." Bad call.

Crispy kale? More like sucky kale (which is why I'm not posting the site or the recipe). I got the recipe from a kid's cooking site, but the only way any sane child would eat kale prepared this way (dry and dehydryated) would be to drown out the flavor with plenty of salt. No matter how super-nutritious kale is, I don't think risking sodium-induced hypertension is the way to encourage kids to eat it.

Last night instead of the sour cherry soup I planned on making (no time to remove all those pits), we had delicious tuna sandwiches prepared by "Bob." Friday I'll make the soup.

1 comment:

"Bob" said...

Hello All it's "Bob". Yes i am writing a post. My comment concerns the "we'll be complaining to the manager about the non-existent bread in our supermarket" remark. Normally, I do the food shopping. Just as a side note "We'll" usually means "Bob will." I just wanted to clear that up.