Monday, August 11, 2008

Mixing It Up

Yesterday I made the carrot and beet salad from the Chocolate & Zucchini web site. I made it in advance so all the beet and carrot-y goodness could meld. Because we aren't the most patient of couples, we had the beet and carrot salad for dinner tonight (instead of waiting for Wednesday) along with the summer squash side dish. The carrot-beet/beet-carrot salad was absolutely delicious. The recipe is subject to a rather wide variety of interpretations; I mainly used the basic ingredients proffered by Clothilde: beets, carrots, olive oil, dijon mustard (Maille), balsamic vinegar, pepper, sea salt, and Tabasco sauce.

Now I have to completely reconsider our entire menu for the week. This week's cooking/eating is starting to look like this:

Monday: Carrot and beet salad and summer squash side dish
Tuesday: Green beans with garlic and a green salad
Wednesday: Kohlrabi saute and carrot and beet salad (if any left over)
Thursday: Kohlrabi and carrots and stir fry cabbage with green peppers

I'll probably kick myself for saying this, but I really hope we get more squash and kale. I want to try my KCMO friend's kale salad recipe and this zucchini soup recipe from Epicurious.com is also tempting. As always, the reader reviews on Epicurious are a must read; they offer some revealing criticisms and smart revisions.

No comments: