Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Update: Hello, Hellmann's? Hello?

Remember my plans to contact Hellmann's about their low-fat mayonnaise? This is what I asked (in green):

Are you still making the Reduced Fat Mayonnaise dressing? It is not listed on your products page (only the light and low-fat versions are listed). When I looked at the Product Locator page, the Reduced Fat mayonnaise is listed on the pulldown menu. However, when the search is completed, the product is automatically changed to low-fat. now listed as low-fat.

Their response (in blue):

Thanks so much for writing!
The product is now called Hellmann's Low Fat mayonnaise. This product is available through distribution to any store who is willing to stock it. We suggest that you speak with your store managers and let them know you are interested in the product. Please urge them to contact their distributor.
We will forward your comments to the Brand Manager and the distribution staff. Consumer comments are very important to us and are evaluated on a regular basis. We certainly hope you will be able to find this product in your area soon.
Thanks for your interest!Your friends at Hellmann's

But based on the nutrition information on the jar I have, I'm still not certain that the reduced-fat and low-fat mayos are the same thing. So I emailed them back right away:

Thank you very much for getting back to me so quickly. I was under the impression that Low-Fat Mayo is 1 gram of fat per serving and the Reduced-Fat is/was 2 grams of fat per serving. Did the serving amounts change (I believe the the reduced-fat is 2 grams of fat per 1 tablespoon)? Thank you once again!

Except for the auto-reply informing me that they received my message and that they would respond shortly (that was May 30: 6 days ago!) , I haven't heard back from them. I'll follow up soon.

No comments: