Monday, June 16, 2008

Good Reading for Better Eating

There's leftover lo mein in the fridge and tons of food waiting to be defrosted in the freezer. Tonight should be turkey meatloaf, but we're both still sodium saturated from last night's Chinese food extravaganza. Those fried noodles dipped in duck sauce get me every time.

Well, as I continue to debate whether dinner will be served tonight or not, feast on these very good articles about the movement to grow your own fruits and vegetables (which, I hope to do in the near future). Many thanks to Sarah's comment on Saturday's post for spurring this "for further reading" smorgasbord (you bet I spelled it correctly).

A very inspiring article of what old industrial cities should do with their brownfields: turn them green, of course:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/20/us/20philadelphia.html?ex=1211947200&en=98be3c497a6c03fc&ei=5070&emc=eta1

Michael Pollan (author of The Omnivore's Dilemma) is the best and asks "Why bother?":
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/magazine/20wwln-lede-t.html?scp=1&sq=pollan%20why%20bother&st=cse

Anne Raver has the answers for what to do if you're behind on planting your tomatoes...as I am (where does the time go?)
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/05/garden/05garden.html?scp=1&sq=garden+grow+your+own&st=nyt

Anne Raver also wrote about kitchen gardens:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/17/garden/17garden.html?ex=1209182400&en=2c43c98c75d12145&ei=5070&emc=eta1

And this columnist picks up on the trend and asks for reader comments about the grow-your-own movement:
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/02/as-local-as-it-gets/?scp=10&sq=grow%20your%20own%20vegetables&st=cse

Don't forget, fruits can be grown in your backyard too. My husband and I bought my grandparents' house. Sadly, when we moved in, the cherry tree my grandpa planted was infected with something, and the grape vines weren't producing anything anymore. Plus we had to put up a fence and a small apple tree (it might've been a crab apple) was "in the way." Yes, I regret all of this. What remains? One small raspberry bush (it was really the neighbor's, but part of it hopped the fence), and a gooseberry (I think) "tree" in the backyard. Inspired by this article, I'm planning for at least two fruiting trees in our yard this year. My husband has requested apples and pears.

Bonus: Sarah was kind enough to link to a Studio 360 piece on an activist/artist whose mission is to turn front yards into gardens. Read Sarah's comment here. And listen to the story here.

And another thing: Legz, your questions regarding deglazing (the June 5, 2008 post) are now answered. Yes, I know, what took me so long? The answer is "Bob." For those curious enough about deglazing, go to this post.

No comments: