Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Meatloaf Sandwiches and Fri-ta-toe

Since the stars were aligned against us today (my husband was in a car accident this morning— he's okay, as is the driver who hit him), we didn't follow the menu and, instead, made something easier than the chicken rice "casserole" that was scheduled. And what could be easier than turkey meatloaf sandwiches? We finished up the last of the asparagus (blanched and topped with a bit of butter), and I also made a fried potato "pancake" with leftover smashed potatoes and some other ingredients. I don't know if the potato side dish I made can technically be called a frittata, so I'm calling it a fri-ta-toe (rhymes with po-ta-to). My only regret? That I hadn't added the asparagus to the fri-ta-toe.

Fri-Ta-Toe
Serves 4 to 6

Extra virgin olive oil
2 cups of smashed potatoes (from earlier in the week)
1/4 cup chopped onion (also in the refrigerator from the day the meatloaf was made)
1/2 red pepper, chopped small
1 egg, beaten
Kosher salt
Pepper

Directions
1. Heat olive oil up in a large frying pan (I use a Le Creuset pan on medium-low heat).
2. Mix all ingredients together in bowl.
3. With a large spoon form potato mixture into 4 to 6 "pancakes," placing each, one at a time into the heated oil.
4. Cook for about 5 to 6 minutes on one side and turn it over. Brown on the other side for another 5 to 6 minutes.
5. Remove pancakes from pan when mixture is golden brown on both sides and heated through.

Nutrition Information per Serving
Calories: ; Carbohydrates: ; Protein: ; Fat: ; Cals./g:
*Points:

No comments: