Wednesday, June 25, 2008

This Week We're Weak Willed

Aside from devouring chocolate-covered graham crackers and horrible honey-mustard pretzel chips at work (the pretzel chips are truly disgusting, yet strangely addictive), I also dug into the chocolate-chip mint ice cream at home. And now, I've added yet another addiction to my repertoire: garlic scape pesto.

"Bob" and I couldn't wait another day. So, we had it for dinner last night (a bit ahead of schedule). I also made a salad with cucumbers, carrots, onions, red leaf lettuce, the last of the broccoli, and some homemade salad dressing. I followed the recipe for Universal Salad Dressing that was included in the weekly newsletter from my CSA.

Universal Salad Dressing

1 cup mayonnaise or buttermilk (or a blend of both) or replace 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of the preceeding with 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of sour cream or plain yogurt.
1/4 cup fresh green herbs (popular choices are parsley, cilantro, or dill)
1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice, lime juice, or vinegar (red wine vinegar, white balsamic, sherry vinegar, etc.)
1 to 2 garlic scapes (or fresh garlic after scape season)
Salt and pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes or several dashes Worcestershire sauce

Directions
1. Place the ingredients into a food processor and blend until desired consistency.
2. Store in the fridge and use throughout the week.

I adapted the recipe as follows: I blended 1/2 cup of reduced fat Hellmann's mayo (and, yes, I still haven't heard from their customer service department; I guess it's time to pester them a bit) with 1/2 cup of low-fat plain yogurt. For the acid, I used red wine vinegar. I also added some Worcestershire sauce as suggested. The herbs I used were thyme and oregano (from the CSA) and a tiny bit of minced parsley. I must admit, preparing the herbs in advance as suggested by that post on the Chocolate & Zucchini blog has kept them fresher and has made them more convenient to use.

Today "Bob" and I had garlic scape pesto for lunch. The end of garlic scape season will be tough to endure.

No comments: