Wednesday, May 28, 2008

One Chicken Pot Pie for Two

Tonight's chicken pot pie is so big that even though it's too good to share, you really should if you want to walk, and not waddle, away from the table.

I've adapted this recipe from one by "Barefoot Contessa" Ina Garten. I've made this before and I knew that it would amount to too much of a good thing. The first time I used four 18-oz. Apilco lion's head bowls. So, this time I used smaller bowls: five 16-oz. Emile Henry lion's head bowls (yes, I have a lot of lion's head bowls), and still it made too much. My husband and I shared one of the pies tonight, and it was plenty (as the pictures show). So, by my calculations, this recipe makes enough for 10 servings, not 4.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we made the chicken stock for this recipe from two chicken carcasses hanging around in the freezer. The chicken meat also came from one of those already-cooked-and-eaten birds. After we had eaten the breasts, I picked the bones clean and saved as much meat (white and dark) that I could for future meals. (Don't worry, the next time I do this I'll write about it and take many pictures.)

The pot pie recipe was adapted from Ina Garten's recipe that was online at the Food Network at some point; I can't find it in any of her books that I own (and I'm pretty sure I have them all).

Chicken Pot Pie
Serves 10

4 cups of cooked white and dark chicken meat (shredded and/or chopped)
3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
5 cups homemade chicken stock
2 chicken bouillon cubes
12 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups chopped onions
3/4 cup all purpose, unbleached flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups unpeeled, diced carrots (blanched for 2 minutes)
2 cups of frozen peas
1.5 cups frozen pearl onions
1/2 cup minced flat-leaf Italian parsley leaves

For the crust:
3 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
1.5 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco)
1/4 pound cold butter (unsalted), diced
2/3 cup ice water (you might not use it all)
1 egg

Directions
Make the filling:
1. In a small sauce pan, over medium to medium-high heat, dissolve the bouillon cubes in the chicken stock as you heat the stock.
2. In a large pot, melt the butter and saute the onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until translucent.
3. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly for 2 minutes, then add the heated chicken stock to this mixture.
4. Simmer over low heat for another minute, stirring until thick. Add the salt, pepper, and heavy cream, then mix in the chicken, carrots, peas, onions, and parsley.

Make the pastry:
5. Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder in the bowl of a food processor (with the metal blade already in it).
6. Add the shortening (in bits) and butter and mix quickly with your fingers until each piece is coated with flour.
7. Pulse 10 times, or until the fat is in small pieces and the entire mixture looks crumbly.
8. Add the ice water while the processor is on and stop when the dough just comes together (when most of it suddenly clumps together on the blade).
9. Knead the dough quickly into a ball on a floured pastry board (don't overdo this!).
10. Wrap the dough in plastic and let it rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

Assemble:
11. Divide the dough among 5 or 10 ovenpoof bowls (like pretty Apilco or Emile Henry lion's head bowls) and roll out until about an 1/8-inch thick (or maybe a bit thicker or thinner depending on the ovenware you are using.
12. Wash the tops of the bowls with the beaten egg and pastry brush.
13. One at a time lay the dough on the top of the each bowl, then crimp the dough over the top edge of each bowl to secure it. I pinch the dough along the top edge with my thumb (placed along the inside rim of the bowl) and forefinger (positioned along the outside the rim of bowl), essentially pinching the top of the bowl AND the dough between my fingers. This method leaves a depression along the inside edge while creating a raised, puffy center.

If you are freezing your pot pies for another day, stop here. Carefully wrap in aluminum foil and put in a freezer bag. Then store the pies in the freezer. Defrost in the refrigerator a day or two before baking.

Bake:
14. Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle Kosher salt and fresh black pepper on top. Slit the tops (to vent for steam) and bake on a baking sheet for 45 minutes to an hour at 375 degrees, until the top is golden and the filling hot (about 145 degrees).

Note: Be careful of the pearl onions! They might be extremely hot in the center (like little balls of napalm).

Nutrition Information per Serving
Calories: 711; Carbohydrates: 49 g; Protein: 25 g; Fat: 45 g; Cals./g: 1
*Points:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Des, a couple of requests/questions: Why do I need to apply egg to the baking dish? Should the pie contents be refrigerated during the 1/2 hour the dough rests? Do you think this recipe would work for vegetable potpie, meaning if I replaced the chicken stock with veggie stock and no meat? And lastly, would you please post a pic of you pinching the pie crust? I have no idea how to do this. Thanks!!!!

Des said...

Hi Legz. I think I can answer most of your questions: You apply egg wash to the baking dish to help seal the dough to the dish (the egg acts as a glue); you brush the crust with the egg wash in order to give it that glossy golden brown color. Sure you can use this recipe to make a vegetable pie! I think you might want to add another vegetable (or two) to make up for the decrease in chicken meat. I'd use some potatoes (definitely potatoes) and maybe broccoli. Some mushrooms might be nice. At any rate, I'd try to come close to the volume of chicken (4 cups) so that the mixture isn't too wet. I'd also add some other seasoning for added flavor (to replace the punch of the chicken bouillon). I'd consider Old Bay or even Bell's Seasoning. Maybe some Goya Sazon? I'll post a pic (or dare I hope a movie!) of me pinching the pie crust as soon as I make another crust. Meanwhile I'll search online for a picture that might help. Chow might have such an image or movie.