Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Sunday Like Many Others

After doing a bunch of chores, we defrosted a batch of "Kitchen Sink" soup, toasted up some rye bread, and settled in for a nice, quiet Sunday dinner. The strips of ziti held up quite well in the soup, they weren't at all soggy. But the soup suffered from a problem I've noticed with so many of our soups that have spent some time frozen: not enough salt.

After the usual extra dashes of Kosher, it still wasn't seasoned enough, so we added a few pinches of celery salt. Perfection. The celery salt perked up the soup's overall flavor and even added a certain "smokiness" to it too. Honestly, I'd been strangely reluctant to add anything "different" to the soup, but I came to my senses and realized that just because a spice wasn't in the original list of ingredients, didn't preclude its addition to the leftovers.

I considered baking some chocolate cupcakes with vanilla bean buttercream frosting, but after relaxing over dinner, I thought better of it. Maybe this coming weekend I'll placate my sweet tooth.

No comments: