Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Palace Pictures, Part II: Inside

Here's a few pictures of the inside of the old palace/House of Scientists. Many of the rooms have different themes: the Oak Room (pictured to the left), the White Room, etc. The one unifying theme: dust and must.


The top of the second floor where the conference sessions were held is a grand space. The stairs lead down to a first landing and then from there it continues down to the main staircase and entrance. For the first few days, I hadn't realized that there was a second floor greenhouse (as seen through a window in the hall outside the White Room)! I don't know how to access it as there was no door to it that I could see.



The hall outside of the White Room (the room is right through those arches), where many of the symposia took place.




Bonus picture: The Bronze Horseman. This is the statue of Peter the Great that saved my hide on Monday when I got lost walking back from the conference. I passed by the statue, knew it was famous, and found it in my guidebooks and map. After that, I was able to orient myself. Thanks Peter!





No comments: