Thursday, September 11, 2008

Finally! The Hermitage and the Skirt

I found both the Hermitage and the skirt today. I tried on the skirt. I like it but it is pricey and I've been spending rubles like a drunken sailor. I might zip down their tomorrow and buy it, but I'm still debating it. My flight leaves at 5 pm. So I should be there by 3 pm. I still haven't decided whether or not I'll take a cab or public transportation (Metro to Bus #13!).

As if to even things out, along with finding two things, I lost two others: my ticket stub to the Hermitage disappeared within 15 minutes of entering the exhibit area. I have no idea what I did with it. I always save my ticket stubs to museums (and this one was particularly nice looking from what I remember). It kind of bummed me out throughout the museum but the third floor filled with Renoir, Cezanne, Daubigny, Matisse, Van Gogh, Picasso, Rousseau (Henri and Theodore), and other amazing artists cheered me up imensely. There's the very interesting "Death after the Masked Ball" (by Gerome Jean-Leon), and for the first time I also truly appreciated what an amazing portraitist Renoir is/was.

The other thing I lost was a notebook. It had some travel plans and my expenses written down. Of course, I had to recalculate my expenses, but the weird thing is that I have 250 py (rubles) more than I expected. I don't know if I short changed someone some cash or if I just don't know how to add and subtract. Of course, I'm worried that I actually took out more money than I remember and I'm actually missing rubles! I'm also missing the mini Crunchie bar that I got on the flight here and a small pack of tissues. The Gremlins are really after me this week!
Close to the Hermitage is the unappealingly named Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood. Gorgeous church, just stunning. No time to go inside though!

No comments: