Tuesday, September 9, 2008

...And Then She Pushed Me!

Yup, one of those young, overdressed, St. Petersburg women actually pushed me into the metro this morning. Apparently I wasn't going fast enough for her. I could feel her hands pushing into my back. My first instinct was to turn around and say something along the lines of "What the F&*^ do you think you're F&#^ing doing, b!$tch?" that or deck her, but then I realized, either action in a very packed St. Petersburg subway would likely get me pummelled by a lot of the other passengers (I don't think speaking English would help me make my case against the pushy chick), either that or I'd be hauled off to some Siberian gulag. Besides, they are pretty aggressive on that subway, so full-contact-subway riding may, in fact, be culturally accepted there. [Pictured to the left on Nevsky Pr. is the Kazan Cathedral, this is probably the worst picture of it taken, ever; to the right is the Singer Building (of sewing machine fame), we have/had one in Newark, N.J., though I don't remember it being this ornate.)]

So, in the dual interests of self preservation and revenge, I did the only thing I could do: passive-aggressively push back into her and try and nail her with my totebag (which usually feels like I'm hauling a cinder block in there). I felt much better.

I had a workshop at the conference today, which went quite well.

Yesterday, I got lost on the walk on the way home from the House of Scientists (formerly the Palace of the Grand Prince Vladimir Romanov) along Dvortsovaya emb. (pictured to the left). Earlier in the day, another conference attendee and myself had walked there together (and had gotten a little lost along the way...the usual story, we made a left when we should've made a right). So, on the way back, I succumbed to hubris--probably right as I was walking through Palace Square. [The Palace Square is surrounded by the Winter Palace, the Hermitage, and the General Staff and Ministries of Finance and Foreign Affairs building (pictured below); at the center of the square is the Alexander Column (pictured below).] I put away my map and thought I knew exactly where I was going. Well, about two hours and two more blisters later, I finally got back to the hotel. This morning, I was sure to use the map. Just to be on the safe side. Tonight it rained again and we ate at the-restaurant-formerly-known-as-Propaganda. Now it's called Lenin something-or-another. Tomorrow, I'm going to the conference. Since it's only being held half the day, I also hope to see some of the Hermitage and perhaps some shopping (stores supposedly stay open to about 7 p.m. here). They have amazing shoes here and I saw an incredibly beautiful skirt in a store window. First I have to get more cash. The restaurants haven't been taking Mastercard so I've blown through a lot of rubles.

No comments: