Sunday, October 12, 2008

Total Tomatoes

With all the late season tomatoes I picked today, it seemed like a good idea to try to make fried green tomatoes.

The first batch of green tomatoes (the Rutgers hybrid), I seasoned with salt and pepper and dipped in yellow cornmeal. Then I fried them in vegetable oil (on medium-low flame). These were just "okay." The next batch, I followed "Bob's" advice and tried a different recipe. This one created more of a crust on the tomatoes by first dipping the salt-and-peppered tomatoes in flour, then in beaten egg, and then in the cornmeal. I added a few dashes of Tobasco sauce to the egg. It didn't do much for the flavor. We also decided, after experimenting with various thicknesses, that the thinly sliced tomatoes were better tasting. So, for the third batch we fried up thinner slices, and I also added some Worcestershire sauce to the egg. I think it added a bit of tang.
We also diced some of the Romas I had ripening on the windowsill for a fresh relish. With some feta, I thought that was quite tasty. I couldn't decide what vinegar to add to the tomatoes; I'll keep experimenting with that idea (I might even forgo a vinegar and just use a sweet oil).

The fourth and final batch was made from a very thinly sliced green Roma tomato. Bob liked this the best. I liked the third batch best. Marital spat ensued (approximately 5 seconds).

I hope to use up the rest of the green Romas in a green tomato pie this week.


No comments: